Make it Queer: Intro to Harm Reduction through a Gender and Sexual Diversity Lens
July 28, 2021
Excitingly, there has been an increase in people working to expand harm reduction programming in Canada. This Stimulus webinar is an opportunity to learn and connect on sexual and gender diverse communities and what good engagement looks like. This event will start at the basics and move deeper into the culture’s needs.
This webinar is a foundational piece for a future Stimulus Connect that will discuss the harm reduction and drug policy issues that gender and sexually diverse people face.
Presentation Slides 1: Cultural Competency for Harm Reduction Workers July 28 2021
Presentation Slides 2: 2SLGBTQ 101: Communities, Identities and Context, July 28, 2021
We’ve gathered a few resources, documents and media articles that you may be find helpful.
- MAX Ottawa
- MAX Programs, including Keeping it 100, NOW WHAT?, Maxpress Yourself and Queerspora, Behind the Scene, Spill the Tea, Outright, Community Maximizer, Group Programs, Peer Support Program, Mental Health Navigation Program and Senior Pride
- Community-Based Research CentreWebsites:
- Skipping Stones
- Trans Wellness Ontario
- gendered intelligence
- My Kid is Gay
- 2-Spirited People of the 1st Nations
- Peer N Peer (PNP) is a peer-led queer substance use and sexual health program
- Ontario Harm Reduction Network
- Trans Care BC
- World Hepatitis Day, July 28
- 34th Annual International 2Spirit Gathering 2021, August 25 – 29, 2021 in Edmonton, AB and Online.
- International Overdose Awareness Day, August 31
- Orange Shirt Day, September 30
- Pronouns Game: Minus 18
- Our Stats is an online database of findings from Canada’s largest and longest running GBT2Q health survey, Sex Now.
- How to use gender neutral grammar in French? November 2020
- Practice with Pronouns
- The Gender Unicorn
- Do’s and Don’ts for Providers
- Two Spirits, One Voice
- Why we need gender-neutral bathrooms, November 2015
- A collection of TED Talks (and more) on the topic of Transgender.
- Response to Health Canada’s Policy on Poppers, June 16, 2021
- Cis People — Stop Expecting to Understand Transness: Being Trans is a Fundamentally Unrelatable Experience to Cis People — That’s What Makes Them Cis, May 13, 2021
- Queer Feminine Identities and the War on Drugs, November 19, 2020 which is from The Impact of Global Drug Policy on Women: Shifting the Needle
- Substance use and supervised consumption services for gay, bisexual, trans and queer men and Two-Spirit and non-binary people, October 2020
- Meet the Methods Series: “What and who is Two-Spirit?” in Health Research, October 2020
- Health and health care access for trans and non-binary people in Canada, March 10, 2020
- Being Safe, Being Me 2019: Results of the Canadian Trans and Non-binary Youth Health Survey
- Gender-inclusive language in France: A manual A Manual, June 2019
- The Health of LGBTQIA2 Communities in Canada, June, 2019
- International Journal of Transgender Health
- The case for a Canadian standard for 2SLGBTQIA+ medical education, April 19, 2021
- Longitudinal associations of cannabis, depression, and anxiety in heterosexual and LGB adolescents, May 2021
- Health and well-being of trans and non-binary participants in a community-based survey of gay, bisexual, and queer men, and non-binary and Two-Spirit people across Canada, February 11, 2021
- Workplace support and affirming behaviors: Moving toward a transgender, gender diverse, and non-binary friendly workplace, December 2020
- Poverty in lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, queer, and two-spirit (LGBTQ2S+) populations in Canada: an intersectional review of the literature, February 2020
- Cultural safety in nursing: the New Zealand experience, October 1996
The Queer Agenda t-shirt from the Drug Policy Alliance